Monday, February 9, 2009

Red Square...for real this time!

We actually made it to Red Square! And it was quite an amazing sight. Saint Basils was everything I dreamed it would be, Lenin was at his creepiest, and we saw a large group of Communist supporters! All in all it was a very good trip. Not too freezing at all, which was nice. It's always a good day when you can go outside for more than five minutes without fingers or face freezing.

This is the building that runs most of the length of Red Square, and it is just giant shopping mall.
Lenin's tomb. Dark, creepy, and around every corner is young baby guard with a fur hat and a beating stick. They freak me out. But Lenin was so cool/creepy/weird. Really...I'm so glad we went and saw it/him. Weird fact about his body...his left hand was laid out flat, but his right hand was partially curled almost into a fist. Weird.

Alley between the shopping mall and the building being remodeled. There were so many people getting married all over Red Square! Apparently Saturday is "marriage" day, and that is when most everyone gets married. All the poor brides looked so cold and miserable.


Ice Skating rink on Red Square. We might go there sometime.


St. Basil's Cathedral. Most beautiful place I have ever seen. When I walked up the hill towards Lenin's tomb, this building slowly came into view, and I was speechless! It is such and amazing place. I fell in love.


Us being funny. Kinda...



This picture is of the Communist supporters that were leaving Red Square right when we were. (This picture is for you Marc).

2 comments:

Rick said...

I am glad you finally made it to Red Square. Don't join those communists. I would hate to have to tell people that I know a communist.

Mary said...

That cathedral is amazing! I'm glad you were able to go. Looks like you all had a blast. I'm with Rick, don't let those reds turn your name into a reality! Which brings a question to mind, how alive and well is communism in Russia today? Anyway, keep having fun - I'm totally jealous!